Tikal

Wow!  What a day!  We left our hotel very early this morning in order to get to the Mayan ruins of Tikal before it got too hot. We’ve been to other ruins in Mexico and Peru, but Tikal is like no other of the ancient cities. Hundreds of structures built over 1000 years ago have been buried by the fast growing jungle. Now only 7% of the 222 square miles of structures have been excavated, leaving 93% of the buildings under cover.  Our five hour tour included multiple temples, plazas, and ancient pyramids that once housed 70,000 Mayans. Along the way we saw spider monkeys, howler monkeys, and a rare anteater, in addition to a tarantula, toucans and coatimundi.  We’ll let the photos do most of the talking today.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.